Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad

Re: Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Squad Steam GreenLight Page
    ADMINS SPECTATOR MODES AND OVERVIEW PANELS to allow administration teams the tools required to own, operate, and oversee their servers.
    Oh yes....going off the way that was phrased, private hosted servers, none of that battlefield style premium licensed only GSP's. This community is going to get one of these bad boys hosted by moi

Quote Originally Posted by Squad Steam GreenLight Page
    MASSIVE 100 PLAYER SERVERS. 50 on 50, in countless squad combinations, all vying for control over an expansive battlefield.
    That sounds like a personal challenge to me ....BRING IT ON (doubtful you'd ever get that many people in, unless you invite your DF and TG friends for a massive shoot out)

Overall this looks like it's gonna rock!
    Thanks for the logo btw 1er
    Vigilance is only for the strong….tech…is for anybody vigilant enough to stick with it

Stil on the bench here. It all sounds good, but i want to know how it plays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonarrias View Post
    That sounds like a personal challenge to me ....BRING IT ON (doubtful you'd ever get that many people in, unless you invite your DF and TG friends for a massive shoot out)

Overall this looks like it's gonna rock!
    I think that is hard to foresee yet. If it gets as popular as PR was during its most populated times you could easily fill quite a few 100 player servers. Most players will gravitate towards known community/clan servers at the beginning and thus servers like TG will probably be the first ones running full servers. Time will tell.

Thumps up for rocking!

Blog Entries

March update

Steam Greenlight and the Beretta M9A1 Pistol to name a few.

Blog Entries

A pretty nice podcast interview. Ended up watching it through. Some highlights that I found interesting and which also relate to the discussion that we had after LoD yesterday with Medic and Mojay on game pace and such.

Approximate times:

9:00 The pace of Squad - lulls and action.
    12:00 Greenlight
    13:30 Arma/Insurgency comparisons
    19:00 FOBs and deployables
    25:00 Map sizes

Blog Entries

Some new info, thoughts and videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Litoralis
    THE VIDEO DELUGE, AND MAY DAY BRINGS MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS

A Letter from Litoralis, Community Manager,

This is it, May Day, 1400 UTC, media embargo release date. U.S Army crashing the streets of Logar Valley, and the Insurgents standing up resistance. Enjoy the videos, there should be quite a few released over the day and week, recorded and edited over the last two months. Keep an eye out for the rapidly evolving game features, we’re watching a FPS franchise grow up before our eyes. It’s my hope you enjoy what you see, and then give me a few minutes to explain to you the background to how we got here today. I’m writing this on the 30th, and I haven’t seen any of the videos. I was no further than one step removed from anyone releasing videos today and this week and I’ve actively refused to watch any of the videos or pre-alpha gameplay that were offered up for review before release. We’ll all be watching and commenting on them together on the forum and social media this week, should be exciting for the Devs to show off their work to the world.

I’ve been taking heat from inside and outside the development team, and from the media people themselves, about how open I let this get, but I believe in this product, and I believe in an open environment. I believe in the power of the masses to understand potential when they see it, and I know the founders are modders first, transparency is the way things are done with this group, we’ve adapted from our old practices and we’re not going to build firewalls around ourselves and keep our fan base in the dark. It’s been nerve wracking, I literally have no idea what’s been released, if we’re getting panned, if certain individuals who came to recording sessions will actually release videos or not, and if anyone will give us high or low appraisals.

The devs on the team with industry experience have been at various times telling me it’s commendable to be this transparent during early development, while the next day saying it’s a incredibly dangerous marketing tool to allow such an early pre-alpha game be given out to outside parties to record and distribute whatever they want with just a minimal list of guidelines. Can the Dev team keep to this level of transparency, that’s an open question as it’s actually really time consuming for the marketing team when trying to schedule playtest recording sessions for developers and youtube creators spread across 11 time zones. Right now, we’re going to work towards regular updates from both inside the Dev team, and unfiltered outside access to some Youtube and streaming content creators to keep perspective.

QUESTIONS

The last five weeks has been a continuous conversation between myself, the devs, volunteers and the community and we’ve come out with some solid ways to introduce Squad to the larger gaming public. Distilling answers to some of the questions is really hard, getting it into soundbites to grab the attention of gamers who are new to the Project Reality teamwork gameplay style, and who might give us maybe 30 seconds to 2 minutes to impress them before they move on to the next item in their store stream. How to focus and transmit the concept of our really social, really intense gameplay into a 1 minute clip?

What is Squad?
    What do you mean by “the concept that teamwork is the optimal strategy”?
    How to explain in 20 seconds that the accumulation of ten years experience in fps game design has crafted teamwork into the paramount strategy to enjoy a game? How do you explain that playing the game in the shoes of frontline grunts and not superhero special forces tier one operators is a more rewarding experience, that this mod team has recreated something closer to the experiences that guys like you, your friends and neighbors experienced in the sandbox, and the game is all the better for it?

How do you explain a game that on first glance revolves around hypercompetitive multifaceted interdependent combined arms, but where in reality the best weapon is a microphone?
    How do you convince the gaming public that we actually “fixed” all the features that the market competitors have been withholding for years, and have done so in one fell swoop? By “fixed” we just mean coded, implemented, tested, tweaked, recoded, tested, released, added features, then ported the concepts to a new engine, ue4, and did so in a year where other companies have been lagging on core teamwork gameplay features for nearly a decade?
    How do we explain to the public even we don’t understand how competitors didn’t figure this out at any point over the last 5 years? The questions keep going, but I’ll let you continue talking about them in the existing forum threads for them. Jump on into the fray and help us thresh out the details, the Dev team and marketing guys are in there every day reading up and taking part in these conversations.

To the guys on the team building Squad they’re own way, a few quotes to commemorate May Day,

“The highest pleasure to be got out of freedom,
    and having nothing to do, is labor.”

- Mark Twain

"No man is born into the world, whose work
    Is not born with him; there is always work,
    And tools to work withal, for those who will:
    And blessed are the horny hands of toil!"

- James R. Lowell

Enjoy the video deluge,

regards,

Litoralis

P.S. I ‘ll append the videos’ links to the bottom of this letter as they’re reported.

Source: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/11...-than-answers/

Blog Entries

April update

RPG-7, kits etc.